Chinese Teaching Minor

“Please be aware that courses listed as core requirements for the Chinese major, minor, or Chinese teaching minor can only be counted once towards your degree. You cannot count them a second time as an elective or as meeting a second major requirement. You can however take another literature, linguistics, or culture class that has not been counted towards your degree and count it once towards your elective requirements. Students who are in the Chinese Flagship program can count ONE of their 3 credit-hour courses towards the elective requirements for the major or minor. Flagship courses cannot be used to replace the core language, literature, or culture courses required of the major or minor.”

Chinese Teaching

Chinese Teaching
Hours27 - 43 Credit Hours
MAPMajor Academic Plan

Program Requirements

This minor is designed to prepare students to teach in public schools. A teaching minor may only be received by students graduating with a teaching major. In order to graduate with this minor, students are required to complete Utah State Office of Education licensing requirements. To view these requirements go to or contact the Education Advisement Center, 350 MCKB, 801-422-3426.
For students accepted into the major after December 16, 2019, grades below C in any required coursework in a teaching major or teaching minor will not be accepted. Teacher candidates must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher once admitted into the program and to qualify for student teaching. For additional details on admission and retention requirements for teaching majors and teaching minors, see Educator Preparation Program Requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Complete the following prerequisite courses: Chin 101, 102, 201, 202. (May be waived for students with previous language experience.)
requirement 4 Complete 1 course
requirement 5
Before applying to student teach in the major, complete the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) examination with a minimum level of "Advanced-Low" in order to be granted Utah state licensure.